Saturday, January 8, 2011

Will the last person to leave NJ please turn off the lights...

If you have been following my blog about leaving NJ to move to New Orleans to escape the conditions there, you may see that I am not the only one.  Over priced and over rated New Jersey has lost a few residents according to the last census. I have a friend who just left the Garden State for greener pastures a few weeks ago. Unlike me, he moved North to New England. I won't divulge his name, but here are our E mails concerning his exodus.

12/28/10 Eric,
We are moving to Maine tomorrow. We were supposed to be leaving today but we got whacked by the massive snow storm. I am very happy (but nervous) to be leaving. It feels strange to be leaving. The only state I've lived.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
J.

J,
BEST OF LUCK!! I know how scary it is to leave familiar turf. Learning new roads and new customs. Exodus is never fun. I encourage you to start a blog or write about it. Observations on the new people and attitudes, new foods, differences in the two locales. 6 months from now you may look back and wonder why you didn't leave sooner. I am happy for you
E.

Hey Eric,
Thanks. I was nervous. I'm not now... We arrived late yesterday afternoon and between the people in the restaurant at which we ate and the supermarket at which I shopped, I've not encountered more friendly and pleasant people. I didn't know how to react. I could only stare back at them with the grin of a idiot as I was wondering if I was about to be rolled or something... I couldn't figure out why complete strangers would just start talking with me saying nice, friendly and positive things. Odd. Yes, I wonder why I didn't leave twenty years ago. Thanks for the inspiration for leaving!
J.

I know, isn't it scary to meet friendly people? It's like you expect them at any minute to start some sob story to try and get money out of you.  The Jersey thing will stick inside of you like a bad childhood, but eventually you may end up liking humanity. So glad you made it out. "It's a death trap, a suicide rap, we got to get out while we're young..."
E.

Eric,
It's definitely scary to meet people who are truly nice. I never know what to make of the situation. I'm hoping to lose that wariness in Maine. I'm tired of being suspicious of everyone I meet. The bad childhood thing is a good analogy. I'll get over it soon I'm sure. I'm glad I made it out too. And I never understood the lyrics to Born to Run until now.
J.


I've been in contact with another acquaintance who is currently packing to get out of Jersey. I remember thinking most of my life that I couldn't or wouldn't leave the state of corruption. The greatest personal revelation I've ever had was "I don't have to stay here." That notion has applied to many circumstances and situations I've found myself in since.  If you are unhappy in your current state, whether it be geographical, emotional or relational you don't have to stay there.

Don't forget to turn off the lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment