Wednesday, January 12, 2011

New Artleans


Back in New Jersey art is seen as an afterthought, in New Orleans it's the foundation. Architecture down here is every bit as important as the food and music. Every building regardless of age or neighborhood has something noteworthy to be found on it.  For the past few days we have been working in a modest yet elegant home over by the universities. Built in the 1950's, it has still retained the vintage cabinetry, a couple of glass exterior walls overlooking a pool and Japanese decor.

Had this home been in New Jersey, the classic retro kitchen would've have been gutted and remodeled years ago. The warm wooden cabinets with great style replaced by some pressed wood pre-fab plastic coated mass produced boxes from Home Depot. It's the mentality in Jersey, keep up with the Jones, new is better, the only thing to shown off is a price tag.  The tiniest pieces of hardware in this city worth studying.




Since I moved down here in March, I have been hearing about "The Art House." Best described as an 21st century bohemian artist's commune they are famous for their treehouse project and parties. I've worked with a few of it's residents doing background acting. If I were 20 years younger I might put in an application to live there. At my age, I like to be in bed by 9:00.

New Orleans has already made me a better artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment