Friday, July 16, 2010

Dress for success

This afternoon I went for a wardrobe fitting for an upcoming film background role. Due to extremely tight security and confidence I can not give you too many details concerning the shoot. I was contacted to be part of a scene involving hundreds of background extras. The casting company told me to bring attire of a "business man" to the fitting. With about 40 pounds of suites and dress shirts in my bag I made my way to the wardrobe fitting.

The costumer looked at me, then at my paperwork and back at me. "Don't these casting agents ever look at your photos? You are NOT a business man type, you are a stoner - beach bum type." "Uhm, well, yea, I guess I could play that. I don't really like the beach though." She turns to her coworker and announces "I found the one to wear "THE" shirt." Evidently the lead wardrobe lady has a favorite shirt that she likes to work into the background of films she works on.

I really dig watching the wardrobe people work. I'm not a clothes type of person. However, I see the art of what they do with costumes. The one who dressed me showed thought and enthusiasm in her work, they all did. Where else can I get a girl half my age to measure my inseam.

I wore the shirt and shorts given to me, along with a pair of Jesus creeper sandals. After much searching a straw pork pie hat that could fit my head was added. When I emerged with my sunglasses on, the second wardrobe lady shrieked "THE DUDE ABIDES!" A reference from one of my favorite films. We start shooting in a couple of weeks. I hope I don't start getting type cast as an unemployed stoner.





LEBOWSKI
Are you employed, sir?

DUDE
Employed?

LEBOWSKI
You don't go out and make a living dressed like that in the middle of a weekday.

DUDE
Is this a--what day is this?


1 comment: