Friday, April 2, 2010

Only in New Orleans

Waffle and I drove down to the closest CVS pharmacy. Along the way we passed a dive bar called "King Pin." Outside was a small group dressed as Zombies with drinks in hand. Of course on the way back Waffle had me drive by and he stuck his head out and asked "What's going on?" a Zombie replied "Nuthin, why?" Turns out it was the annual "Good Friday Zombie Jesus Jamboree Pub Crawl."

Upon closer inspection most of the zombies had crowns of thorns and mangled hands. I guess NOLA is just outside of the Bible belt. I'm on the fence on this one. Would any group dare to do the same for an Islamic martyr? Probably not. I find redemption in the fact that this is America where we are free to offend religions. Christians are used to be mocked and ridiculed. It's been their cross to bare for the past two thousand years. If the reward for them what they claim, then they get the last laugh.

After we got home Waffle donned his zombie make up and we went out for a beer at Le Bon Temps Roule (let the good times roll) We met up with the Good Friday Precession for a late night service. Nice enough alchies, but I felt uncompfortable from a spiritual standpoint. Like I stated, if you guys had any balls, take a poke at Mohamhad.

On the way home I wondered if one of the participants in the Jesus Zombie Pub Crawl gets hit by a car tonight and dies. Imagine if he comes face to face with the real deal while dressed in costume. "Uhm, yea, I was...like dressed as...uhm, you...when I staggered in front of the Ford Bronco.."

Awkward moment to start off eternity.

1 comment:

  1. I think, perhaps, you are taking this way too seriously. I was at the Kingpin for that event - we all had a good time. I only saw 2 guys dressed with thorns, the rest were pretty tame. I'm guessing that no one was dressed up as a zombie mohammed would be because it was EASTER, not ramadan. And I'm going to go out on a limb here, but not everyone believes in Christianity - gasp - therefore, will not be as concerned as you are about Judgement Day. Relax.

    ReplyDelete