Monday, March 1, 2010

What's down in New Orleans?

I don't know for sure, I've never been there. Many hours have been spent researching Craigslist and other sites. I'm not expecting to go down and make a living from art. That's a goal put on the back burner for now. I'm prepared to scrub toilets if need be. I do know that the rent is much less, cigarettes are cheaper and heard the people are nicer. Street performers are allowed to perform with a permit from the city. A $15 licence to entertain visitors. Here in Belmar NJ I have to pay $125 a year to the "Tourism Board" in order to drive drunk Guidos home at bar closing. The town should pay me, the sooner I get them back to the summer rental, the less damage they cause to the town's infrastructure.

In Belmar on a summer night, public urination isn't so much a crime as a unofficial sport. One night I witnessed two intoxicated tourists competing to see who could piss the highest on a resident's parked car. This is an ugly town at night. I've been driving cab at night for over four years, scrubbing toilets won't be any tougher than cleaning out my cab at the end of my shift. At least this time I might get a brush and a pair of gloves.

No comments:

Post a Comment