Monday, March 1, 2010

The Hard-on State

A number of years ago, the New Jersey state legislature voted on whether or not to make Springsteen's "Born to run" the state song. Then I guess they actually listened to it:


Baby this town rips
the bones from your back
It's a death trap,
it's a suicide rap,
We gotta get out while we're young, `Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run




Ironically, it does sum up how most New Jersians feel. Overpriced and overrated we work our asses off to afford to live in a state we never have time to enjoy. When we do take time off we are forced to share space with people who hate life here as much as us. Congested toll roads, oppressive taxes and crowded space lead to the snarling attitudes that makes us the 'Punch Line State.'



The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive, Everybody's out on the run tonight but there's no place left to hide, Together Wendy we can live with the sadness. I'll love you with all the madness in my soul



A few months ago, I had a passenger in my cab comment on New Jersians. She chuckled about how she would ask someone if they were from around here. Locals respond "Oh no, no. I'm from the next town over." The passenger was from the Midwest and had lived around the country. New Jersians consider a big move to be a county away. Many times when a Jersian moves away, they return a year later and say "The pizza sucked over there."




Someday girl I don't know when
we're gonna get to that place
Where we really wanna go and we'll walk in the sun






New Orleans is that place in the sun I dream of. If it doesn't work out, I'll move somewhere else. However it will not be back to the Hard-On State.

No comments:

Post a Comment