Friday, March 12, 2010

There is a house in Nor'Leans....

Now the only thing a gambler needs
Is a suitcase and trunk
And the only time he's satisfied
Is when he's on a drunk


When I first tried to describe this house to my friends in Seattle, Colleen laughed "It sounds like the house from the movie 'Fight Club.' Well, yea, kind of.

Well, here it is. My latest temporary abode. $100 a week, I share it with a few other guys. One only uses it on the weekend when his band performs in town.
A Katrina house, the water marks are still visable on the outside wall. The floors are a little creeky, kind of musty smell and on the roof you can faintly read the word 'HELP' in faded house paint.
Here is a shot of my private entrance. Compared to the backhouse I rented in Belmar NJ on 11th Ave, it's not too bad. The 2nd story balcony in the front is right off my bedroom. I plan to get enough saved in a few months to get my own place.
Rents are reasonable down here. My last place in Belmar, I shared with two other guys. We each paid $700 towards the three bedroom house a few blocks from the ocean. $2,100 a month for a 3 bedroom winter rental. Durring the day, our landlord who worked in town would let himself in, use the bathroom and kitchen durring his lunch break. Last fall he told us that a friend of his would be in from out of town and was going to crash on our couch for a few days. All of that for $2,100 a month. Down here I've seen 2 bedroom houses going for $800 month. Also, I'm not sure but it may be a law that the landlord can't walk in anytime day or night without knocking, and he can't force you to share your rental with his drinking buddies. I don't miss Jersey.

Well, I got one foot on the platform
The other foot on the train
I'm goin' back to New Orleans
To wear that ball and chain

No comments:

Post a Comment