Wednesday, March 31, 2010

But by the grace of God


You can not become a great person, until you become the least.
ETS

When I was working the temporary agency I met a few men who were living at homeless shelters. Good men, generous and decent men whom I grew to respect. I'll admit a few years ago I didn't have a lot of mercy toward the homeless. I was snobbish and elitist. I figured they were there because they chose to be. In recent years I have seen how easy it can happen. I actually listened to them when they spoke which shelters were better than others, I took note of which soup kitchens they said were the best. I don't know what tomorrow will bring. I was fortunate to have the help of friends to feed and shelter me. Does it make a differance if charity comes from strangers or friends?


Charity sees the need not the cause.
German Proverb

Five years ago I would say that a lot of things that have happened to me never would. I hope most Americans will pause and think. Situations can change fast, unforeseen events can turn a life around. I hope when things turn for the better for me, I won't forget how close to needing the help of strangers. May I remember those men I worked with and help them when I am able to.



And now abide in faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

LINKS:
www.covenanthouseno.org
www.ozanaminn.org
www.nolawomenshelter.org

No comments:

Post a Comment